You will need:
6 dl (2½ cups) Plain Flour, 3 dl (1 1/4 cups) Sugar, 2 tsp Baking Powder, 1 tsp Cardamon (finely grounded), 2½ dl (1 cup) Dairy Free Milk, 1 dl (90 gr/ 0.4 cups) Melted Vegan Margarine and Pearl Sugar.
- pre-heat your oven to 200C / 390F.
- Melt your margarine and add the milk.
- Mix all your dry ingredients in a bowl and add the milk/margarine mix bit by bit while whisking. (a great tip is to use an electric beater/whisk to get a smooth and aerated batter)
* we added cooked, sweetened quinoa to the finished batter
- Grease a round cake tin 24 cm / 9-9½ inches in diameter. (if you have an older style cake tin or just want to be certain that the cake won’t stick, grease your tin and sprinkle it with fine plain bredcrumbs)
- Pour the batter into your tin and top it with pearl sugar.
- Bake in the lower part of the oven for around 30 minutes, use a cake tester to make sure the cake is set before taking it out of the oven. But don’t over bake, this cake is ment to be moist.
Instead of pearl sugar, we added frosting:
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine
- 2 cups vegan powdered sugar*
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons vegan soymilk
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder (or more)
- a dash of salt