CALYPSO PINEAPPLE BEAN POT
* 2 cups pineapple, finely chopped
* 1 cup chopped onion
* 4 cloves garlic, crushed
* 1 tablespoon brown sugar, firmly packed (or your choice of sweetener)
* 3 medium ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped (2 1/2 cups)
* 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
* 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
* 1 teaspoon grated fresh lime peel
* 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* salt to taste
* 1 1-pound can chick peas, rinsed and drained (or 2 cups cooked beans)
* 1 1-pound can kidney beans, rinsed and drained (or 2 cups of cooked beans)
In a large skillet, combine pineapple, onion, garlic and sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, 15 minutes or until mixture becomes dry and onion begins to brown.
Add remaining ingredients, mixing well. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook 30 minutes, stirring several times while cooking.
* 1 cup quinoa
* 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
* 3 tablespoons frozen apple juice concentrate
* 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
* 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* 1 large red delicious apple
* 1/2 cup shredded carrot
* 1/3 cup chopped red onion
* 1/4 cup chopped mint
* butter lettuce leaf
1 Pour the quinoa into a fine strainer and rinse it well under cold water.
2 In a 2 quart saucepan combine the quinoa and 2 cups of water.
3 Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to low and cover, simmering for 15 minutes.
4.Remove from heat.
5. In a wide shallow bowl combine vinegar, apple juice concentrate, allspice, pepper and garlic.
6. Add the quinoa and stir occasionally until cooled, around 10 minutes.
7. Core the apple and chop it into 1/4 inch cubes.
8. Mix the apple, carrot, onion and mint with the quinoa mixture.
9. Line a serving platter with the lettuce and mount the quinoa salad on top.
* 6 medium bananas, halved lengthwise
* 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
* 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
* 1/2 cup white sugar
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
* 1 cup flaked coconut
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Butter a 9×13 inch baking dish.
Place the bananas into the baking dish. Combine the orange juice, lemon juice, sugar and salt in a pitcher or bowl; pour over the bananas.
Dot with margarine.
Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Sprinkle with coconut before serving.