1Kg (about 2 lbs) Red Lentils
1 Kg (about 2 lbs) onions
1/3 kg (about 2/3 lb) white bulgur **
salt to taste
4 1/4 cups olive oil or canola oil
1-wash the brown lentils and make sure they’re clean.
2- put in a large pan and add water and let it boil.
3- take 3/4 of the onions and chop them finely (you can use the blender here)
4-put the chopped onions in a frying pan;add olive oil(or canola oil, but i prefer olive oil) and let the onion become brown in color.
5- when the onions are brown,add them to the boiling lentils
6- in a separate pan, add the burgul, add olive oil, and fry till they are light in color.
7-take the burgul out and add it to the lentils. CAUTION: ADD THE BULGUR SLOWLY BECAUSE THE HOT OIL EXPLODES WHEN ADDED TO WATER!!!
8- add salt and let the whole mixture simmer for 40 min.
9- take the rest of the onions, slice them and fry them separately. these will be used as garnish.
**the ratio of lentil to bulgur is 3:1( i.e for every 3 cups of lentils,you add 1 cup of burgul)
Cabbage salad (serves 5):
1 medium white cabbage
pinch of salt
3/4 cup olive oil
2 cloves of garlic
1-chop the cabbage into fine strips
2-crush the garlic cloves and add the lemon juice and salt ; mix together and add over the cabbage.
3- add olive oil over the whole thing and stir.
Chocolate cake (serves 8):
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease one 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- Sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add the oil, vanilla, vinegar and water. Mix together until smooth.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool